Swiss Tax

Do you need to complete a tax return?

Switzerland has one of the most complicated tax systems in the world, and it’s probably very different to what you are used to. It’s certainly different to the UK, US or Australia.

In the early years not all expats have to fill in a tax return. You must complete one if:

  • You earn over Fr. 120,000.- per year
  • You own a house or other real estate property
  • You are married to a Swiss National or a C Permit holder
  • You have substantial income that has not been taxed at source in Switzerland

After five years of full residence EU and US citizens should qualify for a C Permit, while everyone else has to wait ten years. At this point tax is no longer deducted at source and you will need to complete a tax return too.

What is taxed in Switzerland?

If you are resident in Switzerland, all worldwide income and assets must be  declared in your tax return. This includes property abroad and other income or assets that may be tax-exempt in your home country, or due to double taxation treaties between Switzerland and your country of origin.

Don’t worry, we can help

Knowing what to claim for and what to declare is hard enough in our native languages; add German on top and things can get even more difficult. Luckily, your team of professional advisors at Grether MacGeorge GmbH specialise in helping expats: they know the parts of the Swiss tax system that most affect expats inside out.

Expert help at your disposal

When your tax advisor also knows how the Swiss legal system works, you know you will get top quality help and advice.